Monday 20 February 2012

Illustration Friday: Popularity

Popularity2

 So this week's word for Illustration Friday is "Popularity" and I immediately got the idea to design an image that looked like a fake yearbook. I decided to use four characters I've been using for a comic side-project I've been working on in my spare time as I really wanted to get some more practice in drawing them.

My inspiration for this particular piece was the illustrations of Bill Tara. Now the major focus of most of the images of his I've come across are cars but you can obviously tell I didn't incorporate this aspect into my work: Rather what interested me more was the way he used line and the simplicity with which he drew his figures


Tara01

To create this illustration I started, as always, with a series of thumbnails:


Followed by rough drawings of the individual characters:




Put them all together and added some colour:


And finally put the whole thing together in the yearbook format


No comments:

Post a Comment