Monday 6 February 2012

Illustration Friday: Forward!

Illustration Friday: Forward

So, this weeks theme for illustration Friday is the word "Forward".  Now this word immediately conjured up images of motion and movement and speed and that itself conjures up images of cars and hot rods. This sort of grew and developed into my idea to make a simple graphic of a furious cab driver caught in a traffic jam. I finally decided I'd use this design to design a coaster from the sort of ding dinner such a character would inhabit to tie everything together.

Now for this particular project I drew inspiration from three main sources, those being: The hot rod drawings of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth; The clean, simple linework of Ed Fischer; and, most specifically, a drawing of a monster truck drawn by Peter Bagge for the cover of one of the issues of his comic HATE.





So from there I went on to draw up some thumbnails:


You can see the big influence Roth's work had on the third thumbnail, though in the end I settled on the first thumbnail idea as I felt it had the best synergy with the typography.

From there I moved on to the rough drawings:



When I had my drawing worked up to the level I wanted I inked the final drawing:


And finally rendered that drawing to look like a coaster from some sort of greasy truck stop:


No comments:

Post a Comment