Sunday 22 January 2012

PREPARE

Alright. So the word for this week's Illustration Friday was "Prepare". Now this one didn't strike me with as solid an inspiration as last week's so this one took a little bit more thinking. After trawling around Flickr for some inspiration for a while I stumbled across this image by George Samerjan:


Now this image made me think back to something I've always been a big fan of: Pulp Sci-Fi covers. It was then that I got my idea for what this week's illustration would be: Some sort of astronaut with a ray gun preparing to take on a huge robot. So I whipped myself up some thumbnails:


I eventually settled on the composition in image number one but with the more humanoid robot from the other thumbnails. In hindsight I think number 3 would have made for a better composition, but at the time I really wanted the landscape to be a big focus which heavily influenced my decision. I then went on to sketch out the landscape:


Then did a little rendering:

Sketched out the figures:



Then coloured them in, added effects and added them to the final scene:


In the end I love the landscape I painted for this was probably my favorite part


1 comment:

  1. Looks great, Steve. I'd really like to see a graphic design component each time, though, as per the instructions on our class blog:

    "Show the final design - and include graphic design elements. Mock the design up to demonstrate its potential usefulness for some commercial purpose (i.e. a movie poster, a brochure, a web page, etc.)"

    http://grap10009.blogspot.com/2012/01/here-we-blog-again.html

    ReplyDelete