Sunday 15 January 2012

Illustration Fridays: Week 1

Hello All,

One of the major projects I've decided to attach myself to is participating in Illustration Friday. The basic idea, for those of you who don't really want to click the link, is to do a piece of art every week based on a preselected word posted on the website. This week's word was "Grounded" and I almost immediately was struck with a very vivid idea for a design: That of some sort of child/vegetable hybrid that was actually imbedded in the ground, crying out over its fate.



When I first began my work on this idea I looked to the rather twisted work Mark Newgarden did for the Garbage Pail kids line of trading cards. However around the same time I started work on the actual final drawing I stumbled across a few galleries of illustrations done by English illustrator Gerald Scarfe. Looking at Scarfe's work and the grotesque way he distorted the human face inspired me to take the project in an entirely new direction. Rather than a vegetable child crying out over being grounded I changed the subject into a rather distorted human face screaming out in anguish superimposed over some sort of root vegetable.



From here I sketch out the initial design of the head (Reworking it as I go):


Then I begin inking:




And finally add colour and effects to create the finished product:



1 comment: